Thompson Beverly Hills
- Style Big Apple in LA
- Setting Upmarket design district
With dark woods, deep leathers, smooth marble and lots of mirrors, the Thompson Beverly Hills hotel is a sophisticated and tasteful throwback to mid-Seventies luxury and style. The rooftop pool sits next to an impossibly cool cocktail bar that perfectly captures the hotel's unique blend New York hip and Los Angeles cool.
Need to know
- Rooms 107, including 12 suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $224.00, excluding tax at 15.2 per cent.
- Facilities Pool, gym, spa and beauty treatments on request, valet parking, laundry service, WiFi (US$15 for 24 hours). In rooms: king-size beds, Sferra bedlinen, minibar, flatscreen TV, CD/DVD player, iPod and iPod dock, air-conditioning, Ren toiletries, Sferra bathrobes.
- Poolside Part of a two-level rooftop area, the heated outdoor pool, surrounded by sunloungers beneath citrus and olive trees, lies next to a cocktail bar that offers views of the whole city.
- Check–out 12 noon, though a later check-out can be arranged (subject to availability). Earliest check-in, 3pm.
Children There are no facilities for children at the hotel: leave them at home, and treat yourself to a weekend à deux.
- Also Pets are not allowed at the Thompson Beverly Hills.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms For an absolute blowout, we love the huge Penthouse suite, which comes with a smoky-tinged glass eight-seater table, an infinity pool-style Jacuzzi and 1970s black leather Danish chairs. We also adore the rooms on the east side of the hotel, which offer great views of the Hollywood sign and the mountains beyond.
- Packing tips Bring some dark and sophisticated underwear to recreate your favourite Helmut Newton poses against the sultry backdrop of the rooms.
- Also Staff are nattily turned out in bespoke uniforms by Jenni Kayne in collaboration with super-stylist Rachel Zoe. Try to steal one.
Food and drink at Thompson Beverly Hills
- Hotel restaurant With art deco overtones and ivory, tortoiseshell and ebony accents, Caulfield's serves up a modern medley of classic Americana, bistro-style. Named after JD Salinger's rebellious idealist Holden, the restaurant has a comfort-food focus on market-fresh produce, artisan wines and home-made desserts. Our favourite dishes include the whole grilled branzino, thick-cut steaks and toad-in-the-hole.
- Dress code Think smart and black; the scene is far more NY than LA.
- Top table Ask for one of the banquettes at the back of the restaurant – they’re the most conducive to people-watching and snuggling.
- Last orders The last steak is grilled at 11pm; but drinks are poured til 2am in the bars.
- Room service Guests can order from a snack menu 24 hours a day.
- Hotel bar Buzzing most nights, and particularly between Wednesday and Saturday, both the Lounge and the rooftop ABH serve up cocktails till 2am to a well-heeled hipster crowd of members and hotel guests. DJs create a laid-back, loungey atmosphere with a creative selection of jazz, funk and hip-hop tunes.