Uxua Casa Hotel & Spa
- Style Rustic Modernism, casual luxury
- Setting Beachside, yet at the heart of village life
RUNNER-UP: BEST-DRESSED HOTEL – SMITH HOTEL AWARDS 2013
In the relaxed Bahian seaside village of Trancoso, Uxua Casa Hotel & Spa – a luxurious haven of barefoot chic style – has become the boutique lodging of choice for discerning Brazilian elite as much as for jet-setters from Europe and the US. From Wallpaper*-worthy interiors to a jaw-dropping beachside location, these 10 private casas offer a sustainable destination for those who don’t want to sacrifice either looks or substance.
Need to know
- Rooms The hotel is comprised of 10 individual casas.
- Rates Double rooms from $622.86 (BRL1,489), excluding tax at 13 per cent.
- More details Rates include a buffet breakfast. There's an additional service charge of 10 per cent.
- Facilities Spa, gym, library, DVD library, laundry service, in-room spa/beauty treatments. In rooms: flatscreen TV, CD/DVD player, iPod dock, king-size beds, free WiFi, dining table, air-conditioning, minibar, Natura toiletries.
- Poolside Shaped like a lake and surrounded by a huge wooden deck, the hotel pool, constructed from thousands of green aventurine quartz stones, is big enough to do laps. It is gloriously surrounded by tall trees, coconut palms and flowering plants.
- Check–out Midday, though this can be flexible depending on occupancy; earliest check-in, 9am (again, depending on occupancy).
Children Uxua Casa Hotel & Spa is very much an adult's playground. However, children are allowed, and, for those under age five, the hotel provides cots at no extra cost and can arrange babysitting.
- Also Personal chefs are available on request, and will prepare a meal of whatever you desire to be served to you in your private casa. Ask when you check in.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms We love the two-bedroom Gulab Mahal casa, which comes with a private tiered garden, a cushion-filled mezzanine, three bathrooms (two of them in the open air) and views of the Quadrado from every angle. It also houses Indian-style stained-glass and carved-wood features, which date back to the 1970s ‘hippie invasion’ of Trancoso. We also adore the Casa do Avores honeymoon suite, which is built from recycled wood and is situated high in the trees.
- Packing tips Bring your iPod – all casas come with docking stations, and you can download as many bossa nova tunes as you like thanks to the free WiFi.
- Also The hotel’s Almescar Spa is home to Bahia’s first Vichy treatment suite, where warm water pours down from carved eucalyptus trunks and therapies use indigenous local ingredients like almescar and cacao. Private cooking classes taught by the hotel's chefs, or even Trancoso locals, can be held in your casa's kitchen.
Food and drink at Uxua Casa Hotel & Spa
- Hotel restaurant The hotel restaurants may not have been given names, but they're certainly not an afterthought. Chef Bernardo Silva serves up fresh, locally sourced Brazilian cuisine – moqueca of lobster and king prawns, escondidinho of dried shredded meat, onion, chives, creamed cassava and coconut milk – in the hotel lounge or beside the pool. The atmosphere is informal and laid-back.
- Dress code The more casual the better. Flip-flops and shorts are perfectly acceptable – indeed, closed-toe shoes are positively frowned upon.
- Top table Getting a good table is never a problem. However, in the evening, we recommend going for a table overlooking the beach, at which you can enjoy views of sand and sea, not to mention the two adjacent hammocks, while you eat.
- Last orders Dinner is served till around 10pm, and caipirinhas are served in the bar until the last guests shuffle off to bed.
- Room service Guests can order from a full menu between 7am and 10pm.
- Hotel bar Overlooking the pool area, the bar (again, it has no name) has been constructed from local wood using traditional techniques. An old fishing boat serves as the drinks counter, and a thatched roof covers those who come here to sip the signature pineapple-and-ginger caipirinhas till the wee small hours.