- Style Rustic Balinese chic
- Setting View-blessed Petanu valley-top
Resting atop a river ridge with vistas of the Valley of the Kings, hotel Viceroy Bali has a regal outlook near Ubud. The infinity pool edge drops off a cliff and is matched in drama by its breath-snatching panorama of the jungle canopy below. Soak up the verdant horizon from a thatched roof villa with personal pool and relaxation pavillion.
Need to know
- Rooms 25 pool villas.
- Rates Double rooms from $694.21, excluding tax at 21 per cent.
- More details Room rates include welcome drink, à la carte breakfast, Ubud area shuttle service for drop-offs and pick-ups, and use of Jacuzzi and steam bath (book in advance).
- Facilities Spa, gym, library of books and DVDs, free WiFi throughout, gardens, boutique, helipad. In rooms: flatscreen satellite TV, CD/DVD player, iPod dock, minibar, espresso machine with Illy coffee, private pool (in Deluxe Terrace Villas).
- Poolside Sinuous and sexy, the curvy main pool culminates in a dramatic infinity-edge overlooking towering palm trees. Sunloungers, shady relaxation balés (pavilions) and a pretty water feature up the come-hither factor.
- Check–out 12pm, but flexible subject to availability and a half-day charge before 6pm; after 6pm, a full extra day's tariff applies. Check-out, 2pm.
Children Welcome, but this is more of a romantic adult resort. Baby cots and extra beds for older kids can be provided for US$100 a night (including breakfast), and babysitting with staff costs about US$11 an hour, given a day's notice.
- Hotel closed No check-ins or check-outs are allowed on 31 March 2014, when Bali observes Nyepi Day (Day of Silence), although stays are still possible. Bali’s airport also closes for the day.
- Eco‐friendly Villas were designed using natural, local building materials to blend in with the environment. The hotel also supports clean drinking water and recycling schemes, serves seasonal and organic food, and has guest bicycles.
- Also Smoking is allowed in open-air areas only. There is a compulsory Christmas dinner and New Year's dinner at Viceroy, and there are minimum-stay restrictions during this period.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms We recommend the Deluxe Terrace Villas, so don't settle for less. The spacious bedroom, living space and bathroom are pretty swank, but the real wow factor is the relaxation pavilion on the terrace, perched over your own outdoor pool with views of the dramatic Petanu River gorge beyond. An alfresco dining table means romantic meals à deux are on the cards.
- Packing tips Bring your yoga, trekking or cycling gear if you plan to get active; or your biggest sunglasses if you'd rather just get horizontal. Mosquito repellant is always a good call in jungle-fringed Ubud.
- Also The lofty Lembah Spa comes with sublime valley views, as well as a dreamy deck for chilling out. Treatments, developed by Swiss therapists, blend Balinese and western techniques, plus there's a Jacuzzi, steam room and cold plunge pool for pampering.
Food and drink at Viceroy Bali
- Hotel restaurant Offering jaw-dropping views from its open pavilions and trad Balinese styling (cue lofty alang-alang thatched roof), Cascades Restaurant serves up tasty French food with an Asian twist. Typical dishes run the gamut from Indonesian rijstaffel (tasting plates) to pistachio-encrusted rack of lamb or zucchini flowers with goat's cheese. There's an impressive global wine list, too.
- Dress code Dress up for romance, or down for relaxation – it's your call.
- Top table Aim for a table near the valley edge for tropical trysts.
- Last orders Lunch at Cascades is served from 12pm–2pm, dinner from 6pm–10pm; the bar keeps going until 11pm.
- Room service Available 24 hours a day, offering pretty much everything on the restaurant menu.
- Hotel bar In need of a cocktail fix? Luckily, the Viceroy Bar has a rep for pouring some of the best in Bali, alongside fine wines, cognacs, Japanese whiskies and cigars for your delectation. Popular with both guests and walk-in visitors, it sports a striking long lacquered bar and lots of lounge space for taking in those gorgeous gorge horizons.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details