Viceroy Palm Springs
- Style Hollywood Regency spa resort
- Setting Manicured Mojave desert oasis
At the foot of the San Jacinto mountains, Viceroy Palm Springs hotel somehow manages to be well-groomed and relaxed; luxurious and low-key; and attentive and unobtrusive. Bright white neutral rooms are accented with black gingham and kitted out with yellow upholstery and mirrored bureaus. The lovely fruit trees, clipped gardens and fitness and spa facilities round out the healthy and wealthy atmosphere of this bastion of southern California style.
Need to know
- Rooms 65 rooms, suites and villas.
- Rates Double rooms from $102.00, excluding tax at 16.5 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional resort fee of $34.39 per room per night on check-out.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast.
- Facilities Flat-screen TV, CD/DVD player, WiFi, iPod dock, minibar, fridge; library, gym, spa, fitness classes including yoga, Pilates and hikes, loaner bicycles.
- Poolside Bask beside one of three outdoor pools (including a family pool and an adults-only pool), each in a different courtyard. Take cover in a poolside cabana or bubble in one of two large Jacuzzis. Some spa treatments (manis/pedis, reflexology) can be taken poolside when it's not too hot.
- Check–out 12 noon. Check-in: 3pm, but flexible, subject to availability.
Children Babysitting available. As well as a kids' pool, there are children's bikes, cartoon DVDs and games on offer. Most rooms have sofabeds, or you can borrow a pull-out bed ($35 a stay).
- Also Smoking permitted outside only. Estrella Spa offers the usual his 'n' hers therapies, massages, facials and couples' treatments. Pets allowed, $85 a stay. Dog walking, grooming and pet reflexology available.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Most rooms are premium studios with a king-size bed or two queen beds; room 106 was a particular favourite of actress Ann Miller. The Wetherly suites all have a patio or balcony, and either a second bathroom or full kitchen. The beautiful detached villas feature plenty of home comforts, including gorgeous fireplaces, kitchens and a private patio.
- Packing tips Pool totes, pool shoes and bathrobes are provided in rooms, so all you need to remember are your shades and your bikini. Sturdy walking shoes and a hat are a good idea for desert excursions.
- Also Live acoustic guitar performances, taco and tequila snow cone weekend menus, morning meditation, free flicks at the Palm Springs Art Museum – the hotel has a full roster of fun events for guests.
Food and drink at Viceroy Palm Springs
- Hotel restaurant A dining destination in the desert, Citron's modern Californian food is on offer from 8am to 11am for breakfast; 11am to 4pm for lunch; dinner is served from 6pm to 10pm. Snag a table poolside, in the shade of the semi-private patio or in the elegent, dining room syled in buttery yellows and crisp whites. Executive chef Warren Cardoba turns out seasonal, market-driven dishes that are almost too pretty to eat.
- Dress code Relax, you're in the desert. In California.
- Top table On the covered patio, or reserve a private poolside cabana for an intimate romantic dinner.
- Last orders 10pm in the restaurant, which is open till 11pm.
- Room service 7am–10pm; after that, it's snacks from your minibar.
- Hotel bar 'Good libations' include flavoured mojitos (try the grapefruit one, made with fruit from the hotel's own trees), or Popsicle Tinis, imported from Miami – these watermelon martinis are served with an ice lolly made of grapefruit, orange and mint.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details