Viceroy Santa Monica
- Style Elegant urban beach retreat
- Setting Sunny Ocean Avenue
Set amid lovely, lush secluded grounds, Viceroy Santa Monica hotel provides a relaxing and stylish escape from the excitement of seaside Los Angeles. The rooms are bright and airy with a fresh decor. The public areas are done up in a quirky but luxurious style, where bright green Chesterfields are paired with white modernist tables and art deco gazebos are stuffed with French dining-room furniture.
Need to know
- Rooms 162, including five suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $304.00, excluding tax at 14.07 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional local city tax of $4.00 per room per night on check-out and an additional resort fee of $15.00 per room per night on check-out.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast; à la carte available from $10. A $15 per room per night amenities fee – which covers WiFi, welcome glass of champagne, 10 per cent restaurant discount, fitness classes and bicycle rentals – will be charged at check-out.
- Facilities Two outdoor swimming pools, spa treatments, 24-hour fitness centre, library, DVD library, WiFi throughout. In rooms: minibar and beauty bar, flatscreen TV, CD/DVD player.
- Poolside The two outdoor pools are on a sleek terrace, romatically lit with white candelabra by night.
- Check–out Noon, but may be extended on request (subject to availability); earliest check-in, 3pm.
Children Rollaway beds can be provided at no extra charge. The concierge team is happy to help you find distractions for your miniature sidekicks, including surfing lessons, family yoga sessions and child-friendly outings.
- Also Smoking is not allowed at the hotel. Pets under 40-pounds are welcome, for a non-refundable fee of $100 per pet per stay.
- Please note The patio and pool area will be closed between the dates of 2 December, 2013 until 3, January 2014. One pool will remain open during this time. Please note patio and pool area will be tented and covered.
The hotel pool will be closed beginning 8am on Saturday, 17 May, 2014 until 11am on Sunday, 18 May, 2014.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms The Ocean View Viceroy rooms live up to their moniker, with sea vistas that stretch up and down the coast. Viceroy and Grande rooms have private balconies. For oversized bathrooms with enough space for marble wet rooms, vanity tables and cat-swinging, go for a Grande Room or Empire Suite.
- Packing tips Don't worry if you leave your sun protection or skincare behind, as you can buy everything on site. Leave your bicycle at home – the hotel has bikes to borrow for guests.
- Also Not only are personal trainer appointments available at the gym, but complimentary yoga and beach boot camp classes are offered seasonally.
Food and drink at Viceroy Santa Monica
- Hotel restaurant Whist – a delicious-looking space with plates on walls as well as tables – serves creative Modern American cuisine. We loved the Australian kobe rib eye for two, served with garlic-sautéed shrimp, sweet potato fries, asparagus and truffle béarnaise.
- Dress code On the smarter side of casual: jeans with heels and t-shirts with jackets (unless you’re by the pool, of course).
- Top table The outdoor tables are very romantic, but for maximum privacy, choose one of the banquettes.
- Last orders The last vodka-based pick-me-ups are shaken at 1.30am.
- Room service A full menu from breakfast, lunch and dinner draws on Whist's offerings from 6am until midnight on weeknights, and until 2am on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Hotel bar The poolside Cameo Bar is one of Santa Monica’s hottest hangouts, and is particularly lively from Wednesdays to Saturdays. The martinis are killer; try the Key Lime – ingredients include vanilla vodka, triple sec and Graham crackers. Yes, you read that right.