Victoria's at Wategos
- Style Classical Tuscan villa
- Setting Coastal tropical valley
A fairy-tale Tuscan-inspired villa tangled among the tropical garden vines, Byron Bay’s boutique hotel Victoria's at Wategos will bring out the romantic in anyone. A lush setting beside a beautiful beach, this coastal casa overlooking a lighthouse boasts airy rooms with charming four-posters and other European-style furniture.
Need to know
- Rooms 10, including one suite.
- Rates Double rooms from $413.04 (AU$454), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
- More details Breakfast is extra, at AU$35 a person.
- Facilities Swimming pool, CD/DVD and book library, surfboards, surf skis, binoculars for whale watching, spa treatments. In rooms: TV, DVD/CD player, free WiFi, minibar.
- Poolside There's a sleek, 16-metre-long heated lap pool, surrounded by classical colonades, outdoors.
- Check–out 10am; check-in, 2.30pm, but both flexible subject to availability.
Children This hotel doesn’t cater for kids – opt for a liberating adult break instead.
- Also There's a minimum stay of two nights at weekends, three on long weekends or during special events, and five at Easter, Christmas and in January. Smoking is allowed on bedroom balconies or on the hotel's public terraces.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms The best room depends on your preferred view – request pool and gardens or vistas up towards Cape Byron Lighthouse. The Executive Spa Rooms are the most spacious, with king-size beds. All bedrooms have a floaty, feminine feel, with fairy-tale four-posters, antique French-style dressing tables and chairs, chaise longues, muted cream curtains and white walls. Bathrooms are luxe marble with spa baths set between pillars, and pale coral stone floors.
- Packing tips Stylish swimming costume, sneakers for walking to Cape Byron lighthouse, your yoga mat – Byron Bay is a centre for alternative therapies and all things New Age.
- Also At Victoria’s you can play boules on the lawn or just wander the pretty tropical garden, which includes a water feature with rocks and lilypads – and a gentle, petite pet goanna.
Food and drink at Victoria's at Wategos
- Hotel restaurant Victoria’s doesn’t have a restaurant, but a full breakfast is served 8.30am–9.30am on the terrace by the pool. You can also pick up gourmet picnic hampers, if you fancy seaside snacking, and freshly baked treats for tea. In the evening, canapés, a seafood platter or barbecue hamper can be made to order, or the hotel can direct you to recommended places to eat nearby.
- Dress code A vibrant kaftan and metallic flip-flops for evening (conjure Elizabeth Taylor in the sexy Seventies); stylish swimming costume or yoga kit by day.
- Top table Head for the romantic poolside terrace for drinks or snacks with a soothing mix of chill-out music.
- Room service Breakfast and light meals are available between 8.30am and 5.30pm.
- Hotel bar There’s no bar, but minibars come fully stocked, champagne is served at breakfast and a decanter of port awaits you in your room.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details