- Style Bali goes Ibiza
- Setting Charming Cepaka village
Blending indulgent 5-star hotel service with the privacy of your own home, Villa Sungai is Bali’s luxury option of choice, located in a tranquil village just a short-hop from Seminyak Beach. This stylish three-suite palace is for exclusive-hire only and comes with a coddling staff, replete with a 24-hour butler, a chauffeur and chefs cooking up choice cuisine on demand.
Need to know
- Rooms Three suites, or five if you commandeer nearby two-bedroom Sungai Gold, too (Villa Sungai also has a fourth space that can be transformed into a bedroom at night). Each villa is exclusive-hire only.
- Rates Double rooms from $1100.00, excluding tax at 15 per cent.
- More details Rates include welcome drinks, à la carte breakfast, evening canapés, chefs (ingredients cost extra), tea, coffee and bottled water, laundry, 24-hour butler service, concierge, eight-seater vehicle and chauffeur-driven airport transfers.
- Facilities Spa, yoga, gardens, WiFi throughout (around US$10 for 50MB). In rooms: Tivoli Audio sound system, preloaded iPod, LED reading lights, Acqua di Parma toiletries, sarongs, sandals/slippers and shopping baskets, spa gowns, flowers.
- Poolside Float to the infinity-edge of the 18-metre pool lining Villa Sungai for heady tropical jungle and river views. Loungers beckon beside it and the villa itself opens out onto the poolside.
- Check–out 11am, but flexible for a half-night's extra fee. Late check-out to suit departure flights can be arranged when no new guests are checking in. Check-in, anytime if no guests are arriving that day.
Children Children are very welcome. Babysitting, including overnight cover, is available for around US$5 an hour, ideally with half a day's notice.
- Hotel closed No check-ins or check-outs are allowed on 31 March 2014, when Bali observes Nyepi Day (Day of Silence), although stays are still possible. Bali’s airport also closes for the day.
- Also Smoking is allowed in open pavilions, but not in bedrooms.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms All suites are soothing, with neutral decor in white, cream and wood, net-draped king-size beds and ensuites. Bedroom 3 just edges it in the romance stakes, with a spacious alfresco bathroom in a walled garden with a double bath and rain shower. On the guilty pleasure front, it's also home to the villa's only plasma TV and a DVD library (Sungai sticks up for the art of conversation, keeping interruptive gadgetry to a minimum).
- Packing tips Your iPod to soundtrack your sojourn; a hand fan for wafting lazily; this season's yoga kit.
- Also Villa Sungai offers a pre-arrival guest preference and planning service to help you make the most of your stay. As well as a staff of around 12, including chefs, drivers, butlers, bar staff, maids and gardeners, plus spa therapists, you'll get the support of a manager/concierge who acts as your PA and tour guide, booking you into restaurants or activities and arranging bespoke Bali experiences.
Food and drink at Villa Sungai
- Hotel restaurant Chef Wayan heads up the kitchen, whipping up delicious pan-Asian and Australian dishes, including Thai fare, drawing on fresh local market produce. Modern interpretations of Indonesian treats include baby snapper steamed with Balinese spices, duck nasi goreng and a decadent full tasting dinner with suckling pig. Leave room for lemongrass and palm sugar panna cotta with orange and chilli caramel, washed down with lemon sorbet vodka shots. The eatery is exclusive to villa guests and their pals, so feel free to put in requests and time meals to suit your plans.
- Dress code This place has kaftan (or its 21st-century relative the maxi dress) written all over it. Guys can rock a sarong, David Beckham-style. The villas are exclusive hire, so you set the sartorial tone.
- Top table Villa Sungai's breakfast table overlooks the river ringed by palms and bougainvilleas. But it's hard to beat the romantic dining balé, an open pavilion with space for 16 beside the pool and river, fringed by fragrant frangipanis and tuberoses.
- Last orders Breakfast is served from 5am, but otherwise there are no meal time restrictions. Last orders fit around the last guest standing.
- Room service There's 24-hour room service, with pretty much anything you want up for grabs anytime, from noodles to steak or burgers. Take a look at chef Wayan's menus for inspiration or indulge in all-day free Nespresso coffee with chocolate biscotti.
- Hotel bar Tropical open-air Sungai bar is perched above the pool and river below, and is open 24-hours from Bloody Marys at breakfast to champagne come sundown. On arrival you'll be treated to a free signature cocktail, a luscious blend of vodka, lime juice and palm sugar with kaffir, lemongrass infusions and soda. You're welcome to bring your own duty-free spirits to whip up with the bar's mixers or to help yourself anytime to drinks, which will be charged back to your room (there are no in-suite minibars, as sociable quaffing in the open-air bar balé is the norm). You can also dictate the tunes so bring your iPod, check out the villa's music selection or hire a DJ for special events.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details