- Style Victoriana with an African twist
- Setting Kloof Street central
Seductively simple, Welgelegen hotel is a boutique B&B in Cape Town a short stroll from chic Kloof Street. Comfortable rooms in serene colours are a soothing retreat from the nearby buzzing bars and restaurants.
Need to know
- Rooms 13: one mini deluxe; four deluxe; eight superior.
- Rates Double rooms from $97.60 (ZAR1,009), excluding tax at 14 per cent.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities Plunge pool, satellite TV, air-conditioning, massages on request.
- Check–out 11am but flexible, subject to availability.
Children Two of the superior rooms sleep up to three or four guests; family superiors have up to four beds. There’s a baby cot for use in any of the rooms. A R200 charge for children of six and older applies. Babysitting is charged at R30–R40 an hour.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Most superiors have balcony/terrace/mountain view. 1 is romantic, with fireplace and large oval bath. 5 is cosy, overlooking the plunge pool and Table Mountain. 6 has a mountain view from the bed. 8 is large and sunny with a large balcony and wrought-iron bed. The passages in Welgelegen aren’t carpeted and the exposed wooden flooring of the old house magnifies the noise. If you’re a light sleeper, an upstairs room is your best bet.
- Packing tips A pashmina or light sweater for when the wind gets up. Shoes that combine chic and comfort – you’ll want to walk to bars and restaurants by night.
- Also Welgelegen has a treatment room with massages, manicures and other therapies on offer; book in advance.
Food and drink at Welgelegen
- Hotel restaurant Only breakfast: a buffet of juices, fresh fruit, cheeses, cold meats, yoghurt, home-made cereals and bread, plus cooked specialities (we loved the French toast).
- Dress code Wear whatever you feel relaxed in.
- Top table Breakfast can be served on your private terrace.
- Room service Not available.
- Hotel bar Complimentary port is served each evening in the dining room from 5pm.