- Style Retro beachside villas
- Setting Pristine north shores
The 52 unadorned beachfront villas of Zeavola hotel in Koh Phi Phi looks more like a traditional Thai village, with its scattering of wooden huts along the gorgeous beachfront. However, this cleverly designed resort hides all of the modern luxury you require behind a sheen of rustic island charm.
Need to know
- Rooms 52 freestanding villas.
- Rates Double rooms from $278.03 (THB8,921), excluding tax at 17.7 per cent.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities PADI dive centre, spa, boutique (with free WiFi), valet laundry service, DVD library. In rooms: TV, DVD player.
- Poolside Almost completely hidden by shrubbery, the small pool is lined with wooden loungers and lights up romantically at dusk.
- Check–out Midday.
Children Zeavola is mainly a couple’s retreat, but extra beds can be provided for THB1,500 a night (THB750 for six- to 12-year-olds).
- Eco‐friendly The hotel is involved in an elephant-saving environmental campaign and beach clean-up programme.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms The beachfront villas offer the most romantic accommodation, and villa 51, the closest to the sea, is the one to plump for. All Zeavola’s villas are fashioned entirely from teak and coloured with warm umber hues. Any vestiges of modern life are cunningly concealed inside traditional Thai furniture – the TV is housed in a cupboard; the light-switches are found in a jewellery box.
- Packing tips Don’t bother with shoes or sandals – the whole of Zeavola is set on the sand and you can saunter everywhere barefoot. Insect repellent is provided, but if you’re a mosquito snack-bar, you may want to pack some industrial-strength Deet.
- Also Scuba training and diving excursions operate from Zann Zanook, the hotel’s activity centre, which also runs speedboat sightseeing trips around the islands.
Food and drink at Zeavola
- Hotel restaurant Thai meals are served in Baxil, the largest building in Zeavola – all rustic wood and rural retro. Down by the beach, open-air Tacada offers international flavours in a more relaxed setting, to the sound of waves crashing on the sand.
- Dress code Light silks and sarongs.
- Top table Tacada’s candlelit dinner platforms on the sand offer unparalleled romantic seclusion.
- Last orders Both the restaurants and the bar stop serving at 10.30pm.
- Room service 24 hours.
- Hotel bar Attached to Tacada, Zeavola’s bar is an alfresco chill-out zone lightly lilted with lounge music.